Since having my beautiful first child born into this world, my face has been, well, aging. Like, rapidly. When you never get to rest or have a full nights sleep (I don’t think I have woken up naturally in 3 years and I don’t see it happening anytime in the near future) your face can take the toll sadly. So last month I looked into the mirror and I was over it. The worst thing you can do about aging is nothing, and that’s exactly what I have been doing because “I’m tired” or “I don’t have time” blah blah blah. Enough is enough, I can’t be an old lady yet. And working day in and day out on beautiful actresses who care for their skin was enough for me to take this problem and reverse it.
So here are some causes and combatants of those terrible crinkly things so we can age gracefully damn it.
1) Sleep. Sleep is one of the best ways to rejuvenate your skin and rebuild you collagen, but your wrinkles may actually be getting DEEPER while you sleep. If you are like me, when you hit the sack you hit it hard. Lights out, I’m done. I’m a side sleeper and a tummy sleeper, THE WORST for wrinkles. Here’s the deal, when you are asleep and your face is sideways planted on a pillow, you are smooshing you skin (usually around your mouth and eyes) and leaving it smooshed until you change your sleep position. That could be a few hours! So the deep deep wrinkles are actually coming from sleep. It’s just so depressing. Being a makeup artist I put a call out to my industry people and have tried several solutions. Here they are:
* Sleeping on your back – Now I can say that this remedy will in fact cure all sleep wrinkles and you will be well on your way to recovery if you are able to do this. I, sadly, am in no way a back sleeper. I tried so many ways to “train” myself and it wasn’t possible. This here would be the ideal beauty sleep position:
* Use a new pillow – There are several very expensive beauty pillows that allow you to side sleep and keep you face from touching the pillow, like these:
These are a bit ridiculous and expensive, and although they work they just weren’t for me. Then a fellow makeup artist told me to use a neck pillow like the one I would take on a plane and try and use that for back sleeping or even side sleeping. For a month now I have been sleeping soundly on this neck pillow, $12, and it’s seriously comfy and not weird and I saw a difference in my wrinkles in a week. Done. My husband hasn’t even asked me about it, so it’s a win win.
* Use a Satin Pillow Case – This will just make it harder to smoosh your face in the night. Not as good as the above option, but it’s something.
* Use face tape – Yes, another weird one. But Frownies have been around in Hollywood since forever, and all your favorite stars use them. Many stars attribute Frownies to keeping young. You can wear them while you sleep, or if you are at home cleaning the house you can wear them during the day for a few hours. Basically, they just keep a normally wrinkled area wrinkle free for a few hours, and gradually decrease the wrinkle effect. If you think it’s weird, it’s not for you. If you are all about it, they are perfect. I am vain so of course I try it all.
2) Skin Care – You need need need to use product. Not CVS shelf product (although there are a few that are good) but a professional line of products. I only can talk about what I have used, but I will mention a few lines that I love and you can go get some free samples or buy a travel sized kit and try them out for a month to see what works best for you. Here are my favs:
* Image – I am currently hooked on this line. They have so many great products but here are a few for anti aging that have been awesome for me. The Stem Cell Eye Cream, Vital C Intense Moisturizer, Vital C Hydrating Serum, MD Lightening Cream, Anti Aging Serum.
* Skin Medica – This is a great line, very potent. Their TNS serum stands on it’s own, but you can’t go wrong with any product.
* Arbonne – I have only tried their anti aging line, it was fantastic.
* Dermologica – This is an affordable and basic line, no muss no fuss. Great moisturizers and serums, their Multivitamin Masks are AMAZING, I would put it on before bed and wash it off it the morning.
* La Roche Posay – All products, wonderful.
Now here is the tricky part, for this to work and help you in any way, you have to force yourself to WASH YOUR FACE before you go to bed. If you do not have this as a religion in your skin care regime, there is not much you can do. You will get old fast. When you sleep, this is when you body rebuilds and if you have a bunch of dirt, toxins, makeup, whatever on your face while you sleep, you are working against yourself. Just look in the mirror and say “I have to do this” every single night. I promise, just washing your face and putting on quality product will help ten fold.
3) Sun – Wear a hat. Wear sunscreen. You need to get sun but not on your face. Easy. Even if you are inside all day, sunscreen.
4) Maintenance – This is just all the extras you can do. Once a week, make a citrus exfoliant and use it. Put on a mask. Use some eye gels like these that I use on my actresses. Little things here and there. You can add some Retinol into you regime to reverse wrinkles on eyes and forehead which you can get at a dermatologist or a lesser dose but still effective at CVS like this one.
5) DRINK WATER – Like insane amounts. Pee all day. Drink drink drink.
I have been non stop for over a month now and yesterday at a barbecue I was asked “How do you keep looking younger every time I see you” by a MALE. Men don’t throw out the verbal compliments easy, so I know I’m on to something.