This is a topic I have been researching for over a year now. The down low is, our drinking water is awful. Bad. Yuck. Disgusting. So we buy Brita and filter the bad stuff away right? Wrong. Brita doesn’t remove a thing. It may slightly improve the taste but you are drinking regular ole tap water. So we buy bottled water. Safe? Nope. Tested in a lab, most bottled water reads at the same contaminate levels as tap. So what the heck are we supposed to do? This is why it took me a year to write this post……
What exactly is in our Los Angeles tap water? Here is a lab breakdown of what you are drinking in your tap / Brita / bottled water:
- Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) such as pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals. These chemicals are found in most municipal water sources and even in wells and other sources due to agricultural run-off and contamination. Research links certain VOCs to damage in the reproductive system, liver, kidneys and more.
- Heavy Metals like lead and mercury are found in water sources and have been linked to any health problems.
- Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals are chemicals that may mimic or interfere with the normal hormones in the body and these chemicals are being found in increasing amounts in the water supply. From this testimony before a congressional committee on the issue: “Over the past fifty years, researchers observed increases in endocrine-sensitive health outcomes. Breast and prostatic cancer incidence increased between 1969 and 1986 ; there was a four-fold increase in ectopic pregnancies (development of the fertilized egg outside of the uterus) in the U.S. between 1970 and 1987 ; the incidence of cryptorchidism (undescended testicles) doubled in the U.K. between 1960 and the mid 1980s ; and there was an approximately 42% decrease in sperm count worldwide between 1940 and 1990 .” These chemicals are known to affect animals when they enter the water supply as well.
- Fluoride: This is perhaps the most controversial of the contaminants in water because it is purposefully added to the water and there is much heated debate about the benefits/harm of this. The “benefits” of Fluoride are directly linked to the teeth, so drinking the fluoride has not been statistically shown to increase oral health at all. Additionally, fluoride has been linked to illnesses, diseases and other disorders when consumed internally. If you do even one Google search on the harms of drinking Fluoride you might have a mini heart attack and then join me in the quest to finding pure water for yourself and your family.
- Chlorine. You know what it is. You know you don’t want to drink it.
So what can be done? Where is someone like myself to find this “pure and clean” drinking water? Well you have a few options, and they don’t have to break the bank.
1. Mountain Valley Spring Water. Look it up, read about it, learn how amazing this is. If you have $$$$ this is your choice. I am making it for you. If I could afford $138 a month, this would be all I would ever drink. After much much much research, this is the all time, purest and most delicious water available on the planet today. VOC’s: None. Chlorine: None. Fluoride: Only what occurs naturally. Heavy Metals: None. Thats it folks. You can call the company and have them deliver you a unit (which you rent for $35 a year I think) and then they deliver you 5 gallon glass bottles every month. Each bottle costs $22.95. The average person drinks 15 gallons a month, so for my family it would be roughly $138 a month. And I can’t afford it sadly. BUT, if you can make it work, this would be the BEST option of all time and I would love to come visit you and drink your water.
2. Berkey Water Purifiers. It’s a good looking unit right? Although this puppy takes up a little counter space, it is a master at giving you clean water. Ranging between $250 and $425, this is more of a up front cash purchase that filters all the toxins out of your tap water for life. This price includes 2 Solid Block Carbon Filters. You can purchase an extra 2 Fluoride Filters for $30, and the shipping is free. This was the option we chose based on our budget as well as what we were looking for. Added bonus: In an emergency or disaster or even the apocalypse, you can take this water system with you and make drinking water from rivers, streams, lakes, pools, and even the ocean (although I have read that sea water kills the filter pretty fast). So if somewhere deep down you have a survivalist mentality, this would be the filter for you. Many reviewers of this product would take it camping with them and make their own water from nearby lakes and streams.
These are my top favs in regards to water filtration. Other options are of course Brita and other pitcher filters. In my opinion, useless. There is also Distilled water, which does not remove VOC’s and can remove much needed healthy minerals.
If anyone has another product for me to learn about, let me know! I’m still on the hunt and would love to hear about an even better filter to try!